Tissington Hall, Derbyshire Sold Christie's London, April 20, 1985, lot 174
Herbert Cescinsky, English Furniture of the Eighteenth Century, vol. II p. 227, fig. 2 H. Avray Topping, English Homes, vol. II, 1927 (one armchair is shown in situ in the drawing room at Tissington Hall) Geoffrey Beard and Judith Goodison, English Furniture, 15090-1840, Oxford, 1987, p. 126
Beautiful color and surface to the mahogany; very nicely carved; stable and sturdy; areas of old worm damage to the seat rails throughout with some minor losses to some seat rails.
1. with glued repaired break to central arch to backrest showing some glue residue; back seat rail reinforced.
2. small old repair to central arch of backrest; back seat rail reinforced.
3. back seat rail reinforced.
4. minor old repairs to the backrest.
5. minor small repairs to backrest. Back seat rail reinforced.
6. minor repairs to backrest. Back seat rail reinforced.
7. backrest with some small repairs and minor replacement to one pierced quatrefoil. Back seat rail reinforced.
8.very minor repair to back rest. Back seat rail reinforced.
9. back rest with very minor repairs. The cluster-columns to the left stile are slightly loose and need a small gluing; back seat rail reinforced.
10. very minor repairs to back rest; one pierced quatrefoil replaced.
11. armchair with small loss to pierced fretwork of left armrest support; back seat rail reinforced.
12. armchair with some old repairs to backrest; back seat rail reinforced. In response to your inquiry, we are pleased to provide you with a general report of the condition of the property described above. Since we are not professional conservators or restorers, we urge you to consult with a restorer or conservator of your choice who will be better able to provide a detailed, professional report. Prospective buyers should inspect each lot to satisfy themselves as to condition and must understand that any statement made by Sotheby's is merely a subjective qualified opinion. NOTWITHSTANDING THIS REPORT OR ANY DISCUSSIONS CONCERNING CONDITION OF A LOT, ALL LOTS ARE OFFERED AND SOLD "AS IS" IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE CONDITIONS OF SALE PRINTED IN THE CATALOGUE.