9
9

PROPERTY FROM THE COLLECTION OF THE LATE TIM CLARKE

A rare Vincennes group of Venus and Adonis, circa 1750-52
Estimation
12 00018 000
Lot. Vendu 97,500 GBP (Prix d’adjudication avec commission acheteur)
ACCÉDER AU LOT
9

PROPERTY FROM THE COLLECTION OF THE LATE TIM CLARKE

A rare Vincennes group of Venus and Adonis, circa 1750-52
Estimation
12 00018 000
Lot. Vendu 97,500 GBP (Prix d’adjudication avec commission acheteur)
ACCÉDER AU LOT

Details & Cataloguing

Collections

|
Londres

A rare Vincennes group of Venus and Adonis, circa 1750-52
L'Heure du Berger, in the white, modelled as a reclining female figure wearing loose drapery, with a male youth sitting above her left side, upon a rockwork base, incised letter B to inside of tree trunk,
21.7cm., 8 1/2 in. high
Lire le rapport d'état Lire le rapport d'état

Provenance

Christie's Geneva, 7th May 1979, lot 15

Bibliographie

Comparative Literature
Tamara Préaud and Antoine d'Albis, La Porcelaine de Vincennes, 1991, p. 169, no. 167

Description

The model is probably inspired by the engraving Le repos de Diane by Jean Pelletier (1736-?) after the painting by François Boucher. For the engraving see Pierrette Jean-Richard, L'oeuvre grave de Francois Boucher dans la Collection Edmond de Rothschild, 1978, pp. 350-351, no. 1454.

The factory's inventory of 1st October 1752 lists seventeen 'Groupes heures du Berger', priced at 40 livres each. The first recorded sale of this model was on the 25th January 1753 to a M. De Crillon at a cost of 120 livres, (quoted by Tamara Préaud and Antoine d'Albis, op. cit., 1991, p. 169 where the authors suggest this higher price may be because the group was mounted). 

Other examples of this rare form are in the Musée National de Céramique, Sèvres (published by Tamara Préaud and Antoine d'Albis, op. cit., 1991, p. 169, no. 167); the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge, ob. no. EC.3-1944, previously sold at Sotheby's London, The property of a Lady, 14th July 1944, lot 28; a gilt bronze mounted example is in the V&A museum, London, mus. no. C.356-1909, gifted by Joseph Henry Fitzhenry.

Collections

|
Londres