Pratt intended that the book and instrument be “bound together in one (as most co[n]veniently they may)” and “therby made fit and portable companions of the pocket” (A5r), and in almanacs for 1618, the instrument maker Robert Limborough in Gutter Lane was advertising the instrument and Pratt’s book for sale together. Three versions of the instrument survive in leather bindings: one, now without the book, in the British Museum; another, accompanied instead by 33 sheets of manuscript instructions, in the Science Museum; and the third, an ivory plate 65 x 117 mm, accompanied not only by the book, but also by manuscript notes headed “Remembrances for the better understanding of Bills book”, in Cambridge University Library.
Another instrument survives outside a binding (National Museums of Scotland), while five copies of Pratt’s book survive without the instrument. Three press-altered states of the title are known. Only the copy in Cambridge (Syn.8.61.78) contains the engraved plate of the instrument found in the present copy.
Provisional census of copies:
ESTC S114277 "Printed by Iohn Beale, and are to be sold by Nicholas Bourne, at his shop, at the Royall exchange, 1617" (imprint in 4 lines)
• Cambridge University Library (lacking blank A1, with the engraved plate bound opposite the title-page; see EEBO reproductions)
ESTC S126420: "Printed by Iohn Beale, 1617" (imprint in 3 lines)
• Folger Library (ex-J.O. Halliwell-Phillipps and Harmsworth libraries; lacking blank A1, lacking engraved plate)
ESTC S110540: "Printed by Iohn Beale, 1617" (imprint in 2 lines)
• Huntington Library (ex-Bridgewater, Heber, and Britwell libraries; with blank A1, lacking engraved plate)
• Bodleian Library (lacking both blank and engraved plate; see EEBO reproductions)
• Christ Church Oxford (likewise located by STC 20187a, however there is no record for it in the University OPAC)
• the Erwin Tomash copy (lacking blank A1, with the engraved plate)
A Retro Racing Watch for the Modern Man
First Look: A Nearly Impossible Collection of the Most Legendary Wines
10 Dazzling Jewels from the Bourbon Parma Family Collection
First Look: Relive the 1990s Through the Collection of Damien Hirst’s Legendary Manager
Market-leading Contemporary Art Sales in Asia
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
L'inscription pour l'enchère en ligne est fermé pour cette vente . Voulez-vous regarder la vente en direct?Visionner La Vente En Temps Réel