12
12

PROPERTY FROM AN ITALIAN PRIVATE COLLECTION

Studio of Alessandro di Mariano Filipepi, called Sandro Botticelli
THE BAPTISM OF CHRIST
Estimation
400 000600 000
Lot. Vendu 466,000 USD (Prix d’adjudication avec commission acheteur)
ACCÉDER AU LOT
12

PROPERTY FROM AN ITALIAN PRIVATE COLLECTION

Studio of Alessandro di Mariano Filipepi, called Sandro Botticelli
THE BAPTISM OF CHRIST
Estimation
400 000600 000
Lot. Vendu 466,000 USD (Prix d’adjudication avec commission acheteur)
ACCÉDER AU LOT

Details & Cataloguing

Master Paintings

|
New York

Studio of Alessandro di Mariano Filipepi, called Sandro Botticelli
FLORENCE 1445 - 1510
THE BAPTISM OF CHRIST

Provenance

Museo Guidi, Faenza;
Their sale, Rome, Galleria Sangiorgi, 21-27 April 1902, lot 499;
Rambaldi collection, Bologna;
Eugenio Burnath (or Bournat) collection, before 1924;
Bruno Canto, Milan;
In the present collection since at least 1963.

Bibliographie

C. Gamba, Botticelli, Milan 1936, p. 209, cat. no. 10 (as Workshop of Botticelli);
C.L Ragghianti, "Inizio di Leonardo," in Critica d'Arte, I, 1954, p. 118 (as Botticelli);
R. Salvini, Tutta la pittura del Botticelli, Milan 1958, vol. II, 1958, p. 78, reproduced plate 155B (as School of Botticelli);
R. Lightbown, Botticelli, Complete Catalogue, Los Angeles 1978, vol. II, pp. 151-152, cat. no. C65, reproduced p. 151, fig. C65 (under Workshop and School pictures as untraced, "no attribution can safely be made of it in its absence");
G. Mandel, L'opera completa del Botticelli, Milan 1978, p. 116, cat. no. 115, reproduced (under Workshop and School pictures as untraced and therefore impossible to give an attribution);
N. Pons, Catalogo completo, Botticelli, Milan 1989, pp. 87-88, cat. no. 122, reproduced p. 87, fig. 122 (repeating comments of Lightbown and Mandel and suspending judgement until the painting is traced).

Description

Until now this impressive, large-scale panel was hidden from public view for decades and though published many times (see Literature), scholars were only able to opine on the basis of old black-and-white photographs.  The painting was first recorded as part of a 19th-century collection in the Museo Guidi, Faenza (see Provenance).  In 1902, when the painting was deaccessioned and sold, Adolfo Venturi published it as a late autograph work by Botticelli. Scholarly opinions in early 20th-century publications were divided until 1978 when Ronald Lightbown gave the painting to Botticelli’s workshop (see Literature). 

The composition is undoubtedly of Botticelli’s design and no other versions of the subject in this configuration survive today.   The painting itself was executed by a member of Botticelli’s workshop and, as Professor Andrea De Marchi notes, the approach to the rock face and landscape suggests an artist also familiar with the work of Ghirlandaio.1  Lightbown compared the device of the rock formation used to frame the composition with that in Botticelli’s Holy Trinity Surrounded by Seraphim with Saints Mary Magdalene and John the Baptist and Tobias and the Angel in the Courtauld Gallery, London (inv. no. inv. P.1947.LF.38).

We are grateful to Professors Laurence Kanter and Andrea De Marchi for endorsing the attribution upon firsthand inspection and to Professor Nicoletta Pons on the basis of photographs.

1. Private oral communication with the department, 29 January 2016.

 

Master Paintings

|
New York