19

Details & Cataloguing

Property from the Collection of Irvin & Anita Schorsch: Hidden Glen Farms

|
New York

NAPOLEONIC FRENCH PRISONER OF WAR BONE 98-GUN SHIP MODEL, EARLY 19TH CENTURY
Mounted on a later ebonized base with glass dome, including a plaque inscribed H.M.S. Glory - 98 Guns / 'The Glory' was launched at Plymouth in 1789. In 1794 she joined Lord Howe's fleet and distinguished herself at the Glorious 1st of June. She was engaged in the blockade of Cadiz and Cartegena in 1805 flying the flag of Sir John Orde, and the same year under Captain S. Warren took part in Calder's action off Ferrol. Form 1809 to 1815 she was prison ship at Chatham. 
Height excluding glass dome 11 3/4 in.
Lire le rapport d'état Lire le rapport d'état

Provenance

Hap Moore Auctions, York, Auction of Estate Antiques, March 21, 2009, lot 404.
Chuck Deluca, Maritime Antiques Inc., York, Maine.

Bibliographie

Mark Sisco, "Hope Springs Eternal at Moore Sale", Maine Antiques Digest, June 2009, p.24-B, illustrated.

Description

Most surviving prisoner-of-war models date between 1793 and 1815, an age which encompassed the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars when prisoners were detained for a greater length of time than wars of an earlier period. The locations for the confinement of seamen prisoners were typified by hulks in naval Dockyards or old castles and fortresses such as Porchester and Edinburgh. However purpose-built prisons such as Dartmoor afforded conditions which were more conducive to model-making. Aside from the recreational benefits of this pastime, prisoners were able to augment their meagre pay which ranged from 2½d per day for ordinary seamen to 11 shillings for a captain. In some prisons, markets were held on a regular basis and products such as models could be sold and new materials purchased. One of the most ubiquitous materials used in model-making was bone. Its principle source was from the daily meat rations provided to prisoners, which was typically measured out at half a pound per inmate including the bone.

Property from the Collection of Irvin & Anita Schorsch: Hidden Glen Farms

|
New York