NEW YORK - The best Super Bowl party I've ever attended (2011, Giants won) featured slow-roasted suckling pig pork buns paired with Krug Grande Cuvée and assorted American Pinot Noir and Napa Cabernets. It was a flawless pairing.
On a day usually reserved for beer, and lots of it, Krug seems bold but the idea of something cold and effervescent, other than small batch I.P.A's, is a great idea for aperitifs and bites before kickoff. American bubbly offers quality, terrific value and is an excellent palate cleanser, while all-American Sauvignon Blanc and leaner Chardonnay are the wine defensive line for whatever chips, wings, dips and sauces are served before the main course.
- Domaine Carneros Brut 2009 $24.95 (Sonoma, CA)
Ridge Santa Cruz Chardonnay 2011 $47.95 (Santa Cruz, CA).
- Ramey Ritchie Vineyard Chardonnay 2009 $59.95 (Sonoma, CA)
- Ridge Santa Cruz Chardonnay 2011 $47.95 (Santa Cruz, CA)
- Rochioli Vineyards Chardonnay 2012 $59.95 (Sonoma, CA)
- Grgich Hills Fumé Blanc 2010 $29.95 (Napa, CA)
- Rochioli Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc 2012 $44.95 (Sonoma, CA)
For the burgers, brisket sandwiches, chicken wings and the Bruno Mars/Red Hot Chili Peppers halftime show, we suggest a pairing of the fruit-rich, bold, mouth-filling and versatile American reds from our suggestions below. Some are old standbys like Dominus Napanook, while others are new surprises, such as the pure, bright Pinots of Gros Ventre:
Dominus Napanook 2008 $57.95 (Napa, CA).
- Heitz Cabernet Sauvignon 2008 $49.95 (Napa, CA)
- Ridge Estate Cabernet Sauvignon 2010 $47.95 (Santa Cruz, CA)
Sanford Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir 2009 $44.95 (Santa Barbara, CA).
- Adelsheim Willamette Valley Pinot Noir 2011 $25.95 (Willamette Valley, OR)
- Gros Ventre Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir 2012 $44.95 (Sonoma, CA)
- Hirsch San Andreas Pinot Noir 2010 $59.95 (Sonoma, CA)
- Sanford Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir 2009 $44.95 (Santa Barbara, CA)