JAMES ABBOTT MCNEILL WHISTLER | Nocturne: Palaces (Kennedy 202; Glasgow 200)
30,000 - 50,000 GBP
bidding is closed
- James McNeill Whistler
- Nocturne: Palaces (Kennedy 202; Glasgow 200)
- signed with the butterfly and inscribed imp in pencil (on the tab at lower left)
- etching with drypoint, a rich, atmospheric and selectively wiped impression, probably a proof between Kennedy's eighth and ninth (final) states, Glasgow's twelfth (final) state, on laid paper with an Arms of Amsterdam watermark with HI countermark (S. S. T. 15)
- sheet: 29.3 by 20.1cm.; 11 1/2 by 7 7/8 in.
- Executed between 1879 and 1880, Glasgow cites 54 impressions of this subject.