350
350
A ROYAL GEORGE III SILVER-GILT FIGURAL CENTERPIECE, PAUL STORR, LONDON, 1808-09
Estimate
30,00050,000
JUMP TO LOT
350
A ROYAL GEORGE III SILVER-GILT FIGURAL CENTERPIECE, PAUL STORR, LONDON, 1808-09
Estimate
30,00050,000
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

A Collecting Legacy: Property from the Collection of Nelson & Happy Rockefeller

|
New York

A ROYAL GEORGE III SILVER-GILT FIGURAL CENTERPIECE, PAUL STORR, LONDON, 1808-09
formed as three classical maidens linked by wreaths, supporting a slip-lock basket with ivy rim, the detachable two-tier base with masks linked by garlands of fruit, engraved with crest in garter below Royal Ducal coronet
marked and numbered 1 throughout, stand and basket 1808, base 1809
height 12 5/8 in.
32 cm
119 oz 15 dwt
3726 g
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Provenance

probably Adolphus Frederick, Duke of Cambridge (1774-1850), to his son
George, 2nd Duke of Cambridge (1819-1904), his sale
Christie's, London, 6-7 June 1904, lot 205 part

Catalogue Note

In the 1904 sale of the Duke of Cambridge's plate, the description reads: A pair of Dessert-Stands, with circular pierced baskets and vine borders, supported by draped female figures, on triangular plinths, chased with festoons of fruit and masks - 20 in. high [sic] - (one by Paul Storr, 1809, and one by Philip Rundell, 1820); and A Set of Four Smaller Dessert-Stands, en suite - 10 1/2 in. high.

The four smaller dessert stands were sold Sotheby's, New York, 29 March 2011, "Property of a Palm Beach Private Collector," lot 104.  The matching design and engraving strongly indicates that this lot and its pair (sold from the Rockefeller collection Sotheby's, New York, 16 April 2005, lot 242) were either the large stands in the 1904 sale, despite the difference in height, or if not were a pair of intermediate height retained by the family.

A pair of almost identical stands formed part of the first Duke of Wellington's Ambassadorial Service, preserved at the Wellington Museum in Apsley House, London.

A Collecting Legacy: Property from the Collection of Nelson & Happy Rockefeller

|
New York