The photograph in this and the following lot come originally from the collection of New York art dealer and publisher Erhard Weyhe (1882-1972), whose eponymous gallery and bookshop at 794 Lexington Avenue promoted not only prints and art books, but also photography. In 1930, Weyhe published Atget: photographe de Paris, the first monograph devoted to the French photographer, comprised of 96 images and simultaneously published in New York, Paris, and Leipzig. It is likely that the photographer was brought to Weyhe’s attention by Julien Levy, then an apprentice under Carl Zigrosser, director at the Weyhe Gallery. Levy had met Atget in Paris shortly before the photographer’s death and became a financial partner with Berenice Abbott in acquiring a substantial part of Atget’s archive of prints and negatives. In November 1930, Levy and Abbott organized an exhibition of ‘primed and mounted specimens’ of Atget’s photographs at Weyhe Gallery (Levy to Mina Loy, 31 July 1930, quoted in Julien Levy: Portrait of an Art Gallery, p. 30).