Southern Germany, circa 1470-1480
- Pair of Donor Panels
- the left panel inscribed (partially legible): [...] Printzendorff, the right panel inscribed: Kasber von ... das glas lase machen, and further inscribed: MARIA ORA
- stained and leaded glass
- Southern Germany, circa 1470-1480
his estate sale, Hugo Helbing Munich, 24 June 1930, lots 212 and 213;
Geheimrat Ottmar Strauss, Cologne;
his forced sale, Hugo Helbing Munich, 21-24 May 1935, lots 279 and 280;
acquired by Irmgard von Lemmers-Danforth, Wetzlar;
Lemmers-Danforth Collection, Wetzlar, inv. nos. GE 10a, b;
restituted to the heirs of Ottmar Straus, 2017
The present panels were once part of the collection of Munich painter Eduard von Grützner (1846-1925), where they were paired with a third panel from the same workshop, which location is now unknown. The inscriptions at the bottom of the panels might give some indication towards the identification of the donors, but they have not been firmly identified.
A report authored by Dr Heather Gilderdale Scott, Secretary to the Committee of the Corpus Vitrearum Medii Aevi (Medieval Stained Glass in Great Britain) is available upon request.