The name Fontana Arte is inextricably linked to the material of glass. One of Italy’s greatest exports Gio Ponti served as artistic director of Luigi Fontana as it was known at the time, in 1931. Chiesa then invited Master glazier Pietro Chiesa to join him in 1932, establishing Fontana Arte. Together, the two radically modernised glass as an artistic medium, with Max Ingrand further pushing the limits of glass design further once appointed director in the mid-1950s. Always revolutionary, the designs of Fontana Arte focused on designs that set them apart from anyone else. The present lot displays the powerfully subtle touch of the firm, minimising the concept of a mirror to its purest elements, and introducing only a hint of colour to the interior panels.