Published in W. H. Pyne's famous History of the Royal Residences (1817), it was one of the few carpeted rooms shown at Buckingham House as George III considered carpets potentially injurious to health, and his own apartments on the ground floor were therefore uncarpeted. Originally used as the Queen's bedroom, it became her dressing room from the 1760s onwards. A suite of giltwood seat furniture was supplied to compliment the new decorative scheme, most probably by Messrs Tatham, Bailey and Saunders, and seven armchairs from the same suite remain in the Royal Collection (RCIN 2413).
The firm were responsible for supplying furniture to the Royal Pavilion and much of the Prince Regent's household. Founded in the 1780s, they had premises at 14 Mount Street. The partnership was originally between George Elward and William Marsh, with Edward Bailey joining the firm in 1793 and Thomas Tatham (brother of the designer C.H. Tatham) in 1798. From 1803 to 1811 the firm styled itself 'Marsh and Tatham' or 'Tatham and Bailey'. They were joined by Richard Saunders in 1811, and thereafter were generally known as 'Tatham, Bailey and Saunders'.
Following his succession to the throne in 1820, George IV moved his entire household to Windsor Castle and instructed the fashionable firm Morel & Seddon to extensively redecorate the interiors. The work was completed in 1827 and the present sofa is not listed in Morel and Seddon’s detailed accounts. It is therefore likely it was removed from Buckingham House between 1827 and 1866.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
Online Registration to Bid is Closed for this Sale. Would you like to watch the live sale?Watch Live Sale