41
41

THE PROPERTY OF A PRIVATE COLLECTOR

Eugen Napoleon Neureuther
HOUSES IN ROME, NEAR SANTISSIMA TRINITÀ DEI MONTI
JUMP TO LOT
41

THE PROPERTY OF A PRIVATE COLLECTOR

Eugen Napoleon Neureuther
HOUSES IN ROME, NEAR SANTISSIMA TRINITÀ DEI MONTI
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

Old Masters Evening Sale

|
London

Eugen Napoleon Neureuther
MUNICH 1806 - 1882
HOUSES IN ROME, NEAR SANTISSIMA TRINITÀ DEI MONTI
inscribed on the reverse: aus dem Nachlass von / Eugen Napoleon Neureuther / von diesem gemalt 1837/38 in Rom / (Blick aus d. deutschen / Kunstler**** bei der / Span. Treppe auf / S. Trinità dei Monte) / Prof. Dr. Heinze Braune
oil on artist’s board mounted on cardboard
52.5 x 75.5 cm.; 20 3/4  x 29 3/4  in.
Read Condition Report Read Condition Report

Provenance

The artist’s estate;

Sale Munich, Montmorillon, 23 July 1883;1

Private collection;

Anonymous sale ('Property from a European Private Collection'), New York, Sotheby's, 30 January 2014, lot 74, where acquired by the present owner.

Exhibited

Paris, Grand Palais, Paysages d'Italie, les peintres du plein air (1780–1830), 3 April – 9 July 2001, no. 149.

Literature

T. Sharman, in Paysages d'Italie, les peintres du plein air (1780–1830), exhibition catalogue, Paris 2001, p. 245, no. 149, reproduced.

Catalogue Note

Likely painted from the window of the artist’s lodgings in Rome, the composition depicts the towers of Santissima Trinità dei Monti at the top of the Spanish Steps and the other buildings of the quarter. Executed with a plein air adherence to the realities of light and shadow on stone and tile, and without any ideal viewpoint or central focus to the composition, this canvas demonstrates a realist tendency in Neureuther’s art that is absent from the later and more extravagant Romantic visions of Rome and its buildings and monuments that the artist painted in the 1860s as part of a decorative cycle for one of his patrons, Count Adolf Friedrich von Schack, in Munich. Here, only the hyper-saturated blue of the sky, which modulates from heavy clouds at left to clearer skies at right, hints at Neureuther’s Romantic sensibilities.

An inscription on the reverse of the present painting, written by Heinz Braune, Director of the Neue Pinakothek, Munich, in the early twentieth century, indicates that the composition was still in Neureuther’s possession at the time of his death in 1882, and was among the contents of the artist’s studio sold at auction in Munich the following year. Furthermore, Braune’s inscription dates the composition to Neureuther’s first Roman sojourn of 1836–1837. 

Both the inscription and the view itself suggest that Neureuther lived near the Church of Sant’Andrea delle Fratte. Indeed, the present canvas depicts the heart of the artists’ quarter in Rome: the via Sistina, partially depicted at left, contained many accommodations for the foreign artists who flocked to Rome during this period.

1. T. Sharman 2001, p. 244.

Old Masters Evening Sale

|
London