Specializing in reproductions of the most magnificent articles from the Garde-Meuble National
, the Beurdeley firm exhibited and won awards at all of the major international exhibitions during the second half of the nineteenth century. The quality and skill employed in production was of exceptional quality; their bronze mounts with mercury gilding and hand chasing were often difficult to distinguish from late eighteenth-century examples, and were considered the finest in Paris. The firm was pioneered by Jean Beurdeley (1772-1853), later managed by his son Louis-Auguste-Alfred, and finally imparted to his son Alfred-Emmanuel-Louis in 1875. The firm was established at 32 and 34, rue Louis-Le-Grand, and also owned the pavillion de Hanovre, where it was based while Alfred-Emmanuel-Louis added two additional workshops at 20 and 24, rue Dautancourt by 1875. The Beurdeley workshops closed in 1896, although still partially active until 1898 when the stock was sold over a number of auctions conducted by the Galerie Georges Petit of Paris. Two auction catalogues of the collection were published in 1895 and sales were held between March 6-8 and May 27-28. Among Beurdeley's most prestigious clients were Emperor Napoleon III and Empress Eugénie, the duc D'aumale, Richard Wallace, the Duc and Princess d'Hamilton, Tsarine Alexandra Féodorovna, The Rothschild and Vanderbilt dynasties and the Metropolitan Club, New York.
The present table bears close similarity to a known group of five bureau plat in the architectural goût Grec style produced by Pierre Garnier circa 1762-1765. These were made in two sizes, the largest of which, at 63 1/2 inches, was a foot smaller in width than the present table. Of the five produced by Garnier, the present table bears closest similarity to the one acquired by Henry Huntingdon in 1911 now in the Huntington Collection, Pasadena. It is the only one of the five by Garnier that has the guilloche pattern imbricated mounts to the legs also seen on the present example.