The following condition report has been provided by Hamish Dewar Ltd, 13 & 14 Mason's Yard, London SW1Y 6BU:
The canvas is lined and the tacking and turnover edges of the lining canvas have been strengthened with a linen strip-lining. The original canvas is delaminating from the lining canvas along the tacking and turnover edges and could benefit from some additional reinforcement. There are intermittent vertical crease lines where the canvas appears to have been folded in the past and a further horizontal crease line running through the centre of the composition.
The original canvas in these areas appears to have partially delaminated from the lining canvas.
The paint surface has a discoloured and degraded varnish layer and would benefit from cleaning, restoration and revarnishing. There are scattered areas of slightly raised craquelure throughout the composition. There are also scattered areas of paint loss, most notably multiple vertical lines of paint loss within the seated figure in the lower right of the composition, within the reclining figure in the lower centre of the composition, and corresponding to the horizontal seam line mentioned above.
Inspection under ultra-violet light confirms the discoloured and degraded varnish layer which prevents the ultra-violet light from fully penetrating. Inspection under ultra-violet also shows scattered retouchings throughout the composition, the most significant of which are :
1) a large area of retouching above the centre of the lower horizontal framing edge,
2) an area of retouching with associated retouchings in the lower left corner of the composition and some further retouching towards the lower right corner of the composition,
3) small scattered spots and lines of retouching throughout the background,
4) small spots and lines of retouching within the nude reclining figure in the lower centre of the composition,
5) retouchings within the standing guard in the left of the composition and three further slightly larger retouchings above the guard's left foot.
Other retouchings are also visible.
The painting would therefore appear to be in fairly good condition and would benefit from cleaning, restoration and revarnishing including the infilling and retouching of any scattered paint losses. "This lot is offered for sale subject to Sotheby's Conditions of Business, which are available on request and printed in Sotheby's sale catalogues. The independent reports contained in this document are provided for prospective bidders' information only and without warranty by Sotheby's or the Seller."