317
317
A jewelled seed-pearl, silver-gilt and cloisonné enamel icon of the Kazanskaya Mother of God, Dmitri Lukitch Smirnov, Moscow, 1899-1908
JUMP TO LOT
317
A jewelled seed-pearl, silver-gilt and cloisonné enamel icon of the Kazanskaya Mother of God, Dmitri Lukitch Smirnov, Moscow, 1899-1908
JUMP TO LOT

Details & Cataloguing

Russian Works of Art, Fabergé & Icons

|
London

A jewelled seed-pearl, silver-gilt and cloisonné enamel icon of the Kazanskaya Mother of God, Dmitri Lukitch Smirnov, Moscow, 1899-1908

Provenance

Sir Alfred Chester Beatty, probably acquired in the late 1920s,
by descent to Mrs Edward Newling,
given to Ronald Fleming in 1962,
given to the present owner in 1968

Catalogue Note

Nicknamed 'The King of Copper' after the success of his mining company at Bingham Canyon and knighted in 1956 for the strategic supply of key raw materials to the Allies in the Second World War, Chester Beatty was an avid collector and bibliophile.  Having emigrated from America during the First World War, he became a British citizen in 1933 but moved to Ireland in 1950.  His generosity led him to donate several pieces from his collection to the British Museum, while the majority of his library, still housed at his former residence in Dublin, was bequeathed in trust to the nation.  His mining interests took him all over the world including the Sikhote-Alin mountains north of Vladivostok where he owned a lead and zinc mine from 1925 to 1931.

Russian Works of Art, Fabergé & Icons

|
London