Lot 255
  • 255

A George II giltwood and gilt-gesso pier mirror circa 1740

Estimate
20,000 - 30,000 USD
bidding is closed

Description

  • giltwood, mirror glass
  • height 4 ft. 6 1/2 in.; width 31 1/2 in.
  • 138.4 cm; 80 cm
the cartouche depicting the coat of arms of Neale, quartering Barry and Pendock.

Provenance

Possibly the Pendock Neale Family, Tollerton Hall, Nottinghamshire

Catalogue Note

The arms on the mirror are early 19th c. in style (circa 1800-1815) for Neale quartering Barry and Pendock with a crescent for difference.  A hatchment for St. Peter's Church, Tollerton, Nottinghamshire shows the arms to be for Pendock Neale of Tollerton Hall.  He married his cousin Susanna, the daughter of Rev, Thomas Neale of Thimbleby, Lincolnshire.  Tollerton Hall (once known as Roclaveston Manor) was substantially modernized about 1787 by Pendock Neale who also funded the major re-design and enlargement of St. Peter's Church circa 1812.  The renovations included ejection of the medieval font (later reinstated) and construction of a mausoleum for Neale's wife, and also a gallery to seat the squire's family.  The style of armorial painting dates from this period.
Close