Paste reproductions of St. Edward's Crown, Queen Mary's Crown and Queen Victoria's Coronation ring, 1950s
- plactic, paste, metal, fur, velvet, leather
"In response to your inquiry, we are pleased to provide you with a general report of the condition of the property described above. Please note that colour, clarity and weight of gemstones are statements of opinion only and not statements of fact by Sotheby's. We do not guarantee, and are not responsible for any certificate from a gemological laboratory that may accompany the property. We do not guarantee that watches are in working order. Prospective buyers should inspect each lot to satisfy themselves as to condition and must understand that any statement made by Sotheby's is merely a subjective, qualified opinion. Prospective buyers should also refer to refer to any Important Notices regarding this sale, which are printed in the Sale Catalogue, in particular to the Notice regarding the treatment and condition of gemstones and to the Notice regarding import of Burmese jadeite and rubies into the US.
NOTWITHSTANDING THIS REPORT OR ANY DISCUSSIONS CONCERNING A LOT, ALL LOTS ARE OFFERED AND SOLD "AS IS" IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE CONDITIONS OF BUSINESS PRINTED IN THE SALE CATALOGUE."
St Edward's Crown
Originally created in 1661 and later reworked, the crown is applied with four fleur-de-lys motifs and four cross pattée. Above these are two arches meeting at the centre to support a jewelled cross. In total the crown contains 444 precious and semi-precious stones and the base is trimmed with ermine fur. The crown is also seen represented on the Royal Coat of Arms for the United Kingdom.
Queen Mary's Crown
Originally commissioned by Queen Mary, from the Crown Jewellers, Garrard & Co., for the coronation of her husband George V on 22 June 1911. The crown is similarly applied with four fleur-de-lys motifs and four cross pattée. Above these are arches meeting at the centre to support a jewelled cross. Containing some 2,200 diamonds, as well as the Koh-i-Nûr, Cullinan IV and Cullinan III, the crown was described by The Daily Telegraph as having, 'no jewels but diamonds...', clustered together, 'as if they had no support but their own light.'
Queen Victoria's Coronation Ring
Originally created in 1838, by the royal goldsmiths, Rundell, Bridge & Rundell, the ring is set with an octagonal sapphire, rubies and diamonds. During the coronation ceremony the ring is placed on the fourth finger of the sovereign by the Archbishop. Unfortunately at Victoria's coronation there was a misunderstanding and Rundell, Bridge & Rundell made the ring for Queen Victoria's little finger. During the ceremony the Archbishop forced the ring onto Queen Victoria's fourth finger which meant that she had to soak her hand in ice after the ceremony to take it off.