Pietro Bazzanti was a central figure in the production of Florentine sculpture at the end of the 19thcentury. He is associated with the sculptors Cesare Lapini, Ferdinando Vichi and Guglielmo Pugi, all of whom executed works bearing the inscription: Galleria Bazzanti. The gallery, originally Bazzanti's studio, was inaugurated in 1822 and is still open today. The English inscription Florence, suggests the present sculpture was carved for export to England or America. Historicising romantic subjects were very popular in Italian sculpture of the late 19th century. Here a tender narrative is played out – the girl plucks a petal from a daisy, turning coyly away from her lover, whilst he gently turns her towards him to surprise her with the jewelled gift he holds behind his back. The details of Renaissance costume are lovingly recreated with bows, purses, and puffs of linen poking through slashing all carefully picked out.
A. Panzetta, Nuovo dizionario degli scultori italiani dell'ottocento e novecento, Turin, 2003, vol. 1, p. 78