The finials are inscribed in Hebrew on all six sides which read: "Blessed is the Lord;" “Crown of Torah, crown of priesthood, the crown of a good name exceeds them all” (Ethics of the Fathers 4:13); “And this is the Torah which Moses set before the Children of Israel” (Deuteronomy 4:44); “Moses commanded us the Torah, an inheritance of the congregation of Jacob” (Deuteronomy 33:4); initial words of each of the Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:1-17; Deuteronomy 5:6-21); "In a good sign;" "Hazak;" 42 letter name of God arranged in two columns of seven triplets (dereived from the initial letters of the liturgical hymn Ana be-Khoakh
(attributed to the first century sage Rabbi Nehunia ben ha-Kanah.); “Blessed be the name of his honored kingship forever and ever” (Yom Kippur liturgy); “Joseph is a fruitful vine. A fruitful vine by a fountain; its branches run over the wall” (Genesis 49:22).
These bells and finials are dedicated by Michael, son of Jacob Goralshvilli and his wife Esther, daughter of Haham Ribi, for the elevation of the souls of the deceased, of Senor Jacob Goralshvilli, 5656, the tenth of Heshvan.
A similar pair from Baku, Azerbaijan 1908 is illustrated in the Exhibition catalogue Mountain Jews, Customs and Daily Life in the Caucases, Israel Museum, Jerusalem, 2002, p. 55. Another pair, Georgia, 1908-17, is in the Jewish Museum, New York, JM2-54 A,B, cat. no. 424, p. 251, illus. p. 252.