This photograph was sent by Yousuf Karsh in the early 1940s to the Chicago Camera Club, presumably for exhibition. In 1991, in an effort to catalogue the Club's collection, Club president Jane M. Sparhawk contacted Karsh about this and other prints. Older Club members had told Sparhawk that Karsh's photographs had been present in the collection since before 1944. Karsh's reply confirmed this, and he wrote that he was pleased that his photographs had been 'constant companions since 1944' and that he 'probably donated them after having exhibited them upon invitation.'
The Chicago Camera Club, founded in 1895, merged with the Fort Dearborn Camera Club in 1951 to form the Fort Dearborn-Chicago Camera Club. It is known today as The Fort Dearborn-Chicago Photo Forum. Karsh had found a welcome venue for his work at the Club as early as 1938, when he entered an international photographs salon sponsored by the organization.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
Online Registration to Bid is Closed for this Sale. Would you like to watch the live sale?Watch Live Sale