with curved fullered single-edged blade tapering to a long narrow point, gilt-brass hilt applied with pairs of small tiger mask relief plaques, some late eighteenth century and almost certainly from the Seringapatam booty, with tiger's head pommel cast in the round and enriched with engraved bubri on a contrasting finely punched ground, fitted with ivory grip (a filled repair on one side), retaining its original knuckle-chain issuant from the jaws of the pommel mask, and in its original wooden scabbard covered in black and red leather panels and with slotted gilt-brass mounts engraved en suite with the guard of the hilt
Removed from Loughton, County Offaly, Ireland, the seat of the first and second Barons Bloomfield. Believed to have belonged to Benjamin, first Baron Bloomfield (1768-1846), thence by descent until sold in London in 1982.
Lord Bloomfield became closely associated with the household of the Prince Regent (later George IV) from circa 1806 when he attracted attention by his 'cello playing whilst stationed in Brighton with the 10th Hussars. Bloomfield later progressed to a distinguished career in the Royal Service, rewarded with a knighthood in 1815 and barony in 1825.
Robin Wigington, Souvenir Weaponry from Seringaparam, The Journal of the Arms & Armour Society, vol. XV, no. 3, March 1996, Pl. 3
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
Online Registration to Bid is Closed for this Sale. Would you like to watch the live sale?Watch Live Sale